After successfully completing this course, you should:
- Be able to apply Darcy's law to solve basic problems related to flow through porous media.
- Understand the governing equations for 2D and 3D groundwater flow, including what simplifying assumptions are used in the derivation of the equations.
- Be able to create and interpret graphical solutions (flow nets) to the governing equations.
- Be able to apply analytical solutions to the governing equations, including well equations.
- Be able to apply analytical solutions to construction dewatering problems.
- Understand the finite difference solution and be able to create finite difference solutions in Excel.
- Understand how the finite element method works and how the finite element equations are formulated.
- Be able to apply finite element software to solve complex seepage analysis problems.
- Understand the basic concepts of the limit equilibrium method of slope stability.
- Be able to apply slope stability charts for simple problems.
- Be able to apply slope stablity software (such as UTEXAS) for common slope stablility problems.
- Be able to solve special cases of slope stability including, reinforced slopes, rapid drawdown, and seismic conditions.